Climate in Mallorca
All important information and exciting tips for your Mallorca vacation
Mallorca is one of the most popular travel destinations. But the Balearic Island is so popular for a reason. The proximity to Austria is perfect for spending a vacation on the island with the whole family. The climate and weather are pleasant all year round, so that a vacation is always worthwhile. The numerous sights and excursion destinations on Mallorca bring great variety. There are also picturesque beaches and bays, which are the absolute tourist magnets. But Mallorca is not only suitable for sun worshipers, but also for vacationers who like to be active. The diverse landscape from Mallorca makes numerous activities in the beautiful nature possible. Furthermore, Mallorca scores with quiet holiday regions and lively party strongholds . This ensures that everyone on the Balearic island gets what they want. Find out what is typical for Mallorca, which specialties Mallorcan cuisine has to offer and when you can stroll through the markets. With these extensive tips and information you will not miss anything on your Mallorca vacation and you will be well informed.
Information about Mallorca
- Location: in the western Mediterranean, approx. 170 km from mainland Spain
- Country: Spain
- largest Balearic island, seventh largest Mediterranean island
- Capital: Palma, in the southwest of Mallorca
- Official languages: Catalan, Spanish
- Population: 861,430 (as of 2016)
- Currency: EURO
- international airport: Palma de Mallorca, eight kilometers east of the capital
- Time difference: none
- Entry & Visa: ID card is sufficient for entry, you do not need a passport
Mallorca map with travel tips
- In the high season, machines take off several times a day from Austrian airports to Palma de Mallorca International Airport.
- Flight time from Austria to Mallorca: between 2 and 2.5 hours
- Austrian departure airports: Vienna, Salzburg, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck, Klagenfurt
- Airlines: Eurowings, Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, Iberia, LEVEL, Ryanair and many more
- in restaurants around 10% of the total amount
- for cleaning ladies in hotels: around 5 € per week
- for taxi drivers: round up to an appropriate amount
- for tour guides: between € 5 and € 10 if satisfied
- Sufficient and high sun protection belongs in every luggage
- the notorious “ Mallorca acne” is an allergic reaction and the result of exposure to the sun, blemished skin and special ingredients in cosmetics and care products.
- Tap water: Not drinkable as it tastes very salty and contains chlorine. It is suitable for brushing your teeth. You should buy drinking water in filled bottles.
- Siesta: Many shops close for lunchtime at around 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. and open again at around 4 p.m. or 5 p.m. This is especially the case in small towns. In tourist regions the shops are open all the time. Large supermarkets in small towns usually don’t have a siesta either.
- Palma Pass: advantageous tourist cards to save money on sightseeing.
- Also note the tourism tax on Mallorca.
- Import regulations for luxury goods such as tobacco products and alcohol: eg a maximum of 800 cigarettes and 10 liters of spirits free of charge (further information at the customs office ).
Climate and best travel time for Mallorca
According to areacodesexplorer, Mallorca has a Mediterranean climate . It ensures hot and dry summers as well as mild and humid winters. In October it rains the most, the summer months June, July and August are the driest. At the same time, the temperatures are highest at this time. During these months you can expect daytime temperatures of over 30 degrees Celsius. At night the temperatures are around 20 degrees Celsius. With water temperatures between 23 and 25 degrees Celsius, you can take a refreshing dip in the sea. Up to eleven hours of sunshine sweeten your vacation in the summer months. The coolest months are December, January and February. But even then, temperatures of up to 15 degrees Celsius prevail, so Mallorca in winter is also a great travel destination. In addition: from mid-January to early March, the almond blossom unfolds its full beauty. March is considered to be extremely volatile. It can rain more often and the weather changes quickly. Basically, you can travel to Mallorca all year round and enjoy the wonderful island. In my detailed article you will get more information about the best time to travel to Mallorca .
In the following climate table you can see the values for every single month and look forward to wonderful weather! Mallorca is always worth a trip, even in winter.
Climate table for Mallorca
|Max. Temperature in ° C||15||15||17||20||23||27||31||31||28||23||18||16|
|Min. Temperature in ° C||6||6||8||10||12||17||20||21||18||14||10||7|
|Hours of sunshine per day||5||6||7||8||10||11||11||10||9||7||6||5|
|Water temperature in ° C||14||13||14||15||17||20||25||27||25||22||18||15|
|Rainy days per month||6||6||5||5||5||3||1||2||4||7||8||8|